10.22.2006

[26]

Listening to the new Brand New song "Sowing Season (Yeah)"



Small world/full circle story to share:

In my second year of mass communications and sociology at Carleton, a friend of mine and I went to a PR and Communications Round Table event at Algonquin College. It was the first "networking" event we'd ever been to, and we had no idea what we were doing... We ended up being the only non-PR and non-Algonquin students there. Very intimidating.

Oddly enough this was the exact moment when I swore never to go into PR because the PR students from Algonquin scared me. Their teeth sparkled when they smiled and they all seemed very fake-nice. Plus they had business cards and were all so smooth -- made the dorky comm students look bad!

...How times change....

One of the round tables I sat in on was a PR person from a high-tech company who gave us insights about the industry, what it was like working at a tech company etc... She was really nice and honest with us, which was refreshing for a student wondering where the heck they are going in a couple of years.

I was just cleaning up some stuff at my desk and I found my notes and the business cards I got that day... and it ends up the tech company was the one where I work now, and I am in the junior position of that person's role when she was with the company.

One of my bosses used to work with her at the beginning when she began at the company, and tells me the woman moved to customer marketing shortly afterwards and then eventually left the company.

And here I am. Working in PR. Working in high-tech.

Strange...

No comments:

I Am Powerful

Iam powerful! Visit care.ca