2.24.2007

Lots of great articles in the March issue of Yoga Journal

I've just begun reading the March 2007 issue of Yoga Journal, (don't worry, I am keeping an eye on the Sens game!) and I'm very fascinated by a few articles and I'm only on page 24!

Good news! Dark chocolate is good for you, as it has 14 times as many antioxidants as broccoli. In an article entitled Concious Chocolate discusses the importance of choosing sustainable chocolate (which is second only to cotton in the amount of pesticide used to produce it - according to the
Pesticide Action Network). Look for these descriptions of your chocolate next time you're buying: organic, fair trade, pesticide free, rainforest alliance certified and ethically traded.

Leave No Trace - eco-travel tips brought to you by
Yoga Journal:

  • Take a train or bus if you are travelling less than 600 miles (planes use a lot of fuel to take off and land). (*Sigh. Ottawa to Boston is just over 300 miles...maybe my passport won't be sent in time and I can take the train. I love the train!)
  • Don't fly at night. Airplane condensation trails, or contrails, cool the atmosphere during the day. But night flights heat teh atmosphere and contribute more than half of the climate warming that originates from contrails.
  • To offset the pollution your trip generates, measure your greenhouse has emissions by visiting a Website like www.travelmatters.org or www.terrapass.com. Then, choose to contribute money to help plant trees and fund alternative energy. (My round trip to Boston will be 618 miles and 395 lbs of CO2 -- If I got to http://www.carbonfund.org/site/ I can purchase 6,000 miles of carbon offsets for only US$6.25!)
  • When staying at a hotel, opt not to have linens cleaned daily.
  • Eat cuisine that is native to the area you are visiting.
  • Bring a refillable water bottle or thermos instead of using disposables.

I really enjoy this magazine, but I also subscribe to ascent - a Canadian yoga mag. I also picked up another new one I hadn't seen before -- Shambhala Sun, mostly because it has an article on Eve Ensler -- so it must be good! Will let you know...

No comments:

I Am Powerful

Iam powerful! Visit care.ca