9.25.2006

[13]



Listening to: Delivering Idiots by Stabilo

Ahhh, Stabilo. How I've been watching you closely. More importantly, I've been listening to your heart beat this whole time...

It's been five years since introductions were made… and look at all that has changed.


When we met you had put out an indie EP album under the name Stabilo Boss, only to have the corporations stand up straight and take notice once you gained some publicity. So, Stabilo it is... I always thought you looked more like a solo Stabilo than a Boss…


A good friend at the time danced a jig in the middle of a media conglomerate's lobby to get us tickets for your very first appearance in Ottawa – a win-to-get-in only show at Zaphod Beeblebrox. This was all based on the potential we saw in your first single, Everybody. We had to special order your CD from Vancouver, and it was going to take a while to hear the rest of the tracks, but we both knew we were in love with the piano, the guitars, the vocals, the lyrics… everything.


The first show was stellar, as we knew it would be, an

d I know that for a fleeting moment I caught Chris' eye, which would prove to help later on…


A year or so later you made your triumphant return to Zaphod's and Chris caught my eye again. After Nathan lost his drumstick in the middle of the song and it fell to Chris's feet in front of the drum kit, Chris looked right at

me and kicked the stick to me. After the show I got the boys of Van-city to

autograph the drum stick, only to be confused by their attempt to sign

something in French – Foutré la maison? I'd have to look that up later…


This was the first show you had a piano/keyboard for in Ottawa and when Beautiful Madness began the room fell silent with adoration and anticipation.



A small, intimate show at Carleton's Oliver's Pub a year or so later saw me there alone… I thought it was going to be just me and the music, until another girl who was there alone decided we were now there together… Purchase of a t-shirt with the gremlin on it, posters from the halls and more autographs…


Another show a few years later at Barrymore's – James Bryan opening for you which was incredible – another fan was born in me that night. This time it was too big to catch anyone's eyes… There were some cover tunes for the first time, which the audience thoroughly enjoyed…


And then, in the spring of 2006, you were opening for the newly fronted INXS at Scotiabank Place… my, my, thelong way we've traveled in five short years! I might have been one of the very few in the entire stadium who was singing along to every word and dancing to the melodies… but soon enough my dear Stabilo, the world will know you like I do.


A return to Capital Music Hall in October soon… I cannot wait to sing along and lose myself to the music.


"So tonight, let's be as bold as we want to
And drink, drink 'til we fall down the steps
Remember how that made us laugh
Remember how all that we did was laugh, and cry"

- Kidding Ourselves - Stabilo -


Download a special version of the song '?' (Question mark) here:

They never came up with a title, so it's been called ? ever since... :)

No comments:

I Am Powerful

Iam powerful! Visit care.ca