9.21.2006

[11]

Listening to: Sleep to Dream by Fiona Apple



It's been a while since I've written anything long and meaningful... but that will all change! I will have a little more time to update and write in the next week before the Run happens.

First -- an update on the Run! The Sparks St. event went well -- some students from Samuel Genest came to decorate the Ford Vehicle of Hope (official sponsor) which turned out really nice.

Some of the vendors on Sparks St. were super helpful and nice enough to organize special Think Pink sales and decorate their windows in honour of our events. Quichua International and Smithbooks both went out of their way to fundraise, which was much appreciated!

Our team at work held bake sales and a raffle with great prizes this week and we raised about $1800 for the team. Watch our progress and donate (to me!) here. I managed to get some prizes for the draw and also baked some Cupcakes for the Cure!

We had a fashion show at Place D'Orleans which was really successful. We had survivors model the clothing given to us by sponsors at the Running Room and at Nygard and you could tell how much fun they were having. Sandra and Boyle from KISS FM (another sponsor) were the MCs and they were great! Oddly enough, after painting my toenails with a pink ribbon I slipped on a coffee spill and smashed my toe- scraping off one of the ribbons! For those of you who know about my little biking accident and the piece of glass in the foot -- yes, it was the same toe/foot!

Also, I've raised about $190 so far, just a tad short of my new goal of $300. Hint, hint, nudge, wink, wink.

Alright, enough about the run for now. I have no more run-related activities until the day of -- when I'll be handling media kits and other such activities at Major's Hill Park.

Let me tell you how amazingly good Half Nelson is. Watch the trailer here. I can't say enough good things about Ryan Gosling. It's funny to see him go from Breaker High to this role... but he does it brilliantly. The themes in this movie are really smart, and it's interesting to watch Ryan's character, Dan, live through his own hypocrisy and fight with himself and his desires. Neither the person I went to see this with, nor myself, could figure out exactly how the title relates, so maybe someone can fill me in when they see it.

Started regular yoga again at thy gym at work. Friday's classes are taught by this beautiful soul whom I love so much! She's adorable, and her technique is so gentle. She always reminds us to not be so serious and to smile, which I like. It's a hatha yoga class, which is a combination of styles including meditation and chanting. [Nearly all yoga styles are rooted in hatha yoga, yoga’s physical discipline that focuses on developing control of the body through asanas or poses. In Sanskrit, ha represents sun and tha represents moon. Hatha represents the duality in life — yin and yang, masculine and feminine, darkness and light. It leads the way to balancing these opposing forces. It is the yoga of physical well-being.]

There's another class on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays taught by another teacher in the style of ashtanga. [For those who want a serious workout, ashtanga yoga offers a fast-paced series of sequential poses beginning with sun salutations. Students move from one posture to another in a continual flow and link movements to breath. This physically demanding yoga was developed by K. Pattabhi Jois to build strength, flexibility, and stamina.]

It feels really good, physically and spiritually. I honestly feel like I'm in a better mood after class (especially the Friday class.) I feel better about my body and health, and am learning to embrace the ideals of the yoga philosophy. Being mindful, positive, focusing inwards and the various breathing techniques all help to be a better person.

In the same vein, I'm throroughly enjoying ascent magazine. There are some really good articles, and it's Canadian! :)

Currently reading:

The Devil Wears Prada (guilty pleasure!) by
Lauren Weisberger
Commission for Africa: Our Common Interest by Bob Geldof
Take a Walk on the Dark Side: ROck and Roll Myths, Legends and Curses by R. Gary Patterson
Weapons of Mass Deception: The Uses of Propaganda in Bush's War on Iraq by Sheldon Rampton and John Stauber (the same guys who did the book that I have the youtube promo for a couple posts down: "The Best War Ever!")


I finally bought the Tegan and Sara DVD! It's great, but I haven't watched a lot of the concert part yet. The interviews and videos show the two sisters fighting which I like that they show.

We also bought the U2 DVD for the Zoo TV tour.... it's so good.

I'm excited because tomorrow I buy tickets to go see Stuart McLean of The Vinyl Cafe at the National Arts Centre. His shows are so brilliant and warming and Canadian. : D

Good article.

Theo told me to write about how much I love him. So here goes: I love him very, very, very much.


Alright. Enough already.

By the way: When my posts have the three coloured dots before the number of the entry, that means it's a link. :)

No comments:

I Am Powerful

Iam powerful! Visit care.ca