8.06.2006

[1]

Listening to: Stay (Faraway, So Close) by U2

Hello everyone -- I'm back! Aha! I bet you didn't even know I was gone (except for the few whom I emailed saying I was leaving...)

I have just returned from Kapuskasing, model city of the north! Also, home to Theo's parent's place. We left early on Friday, July 28 and made it to Kap (as the cool kids call it) for dinner. Theo's parents and youngest brother, Mathieu, (and of course Theo and I) went to the cottage right after dinner. It's pretty cool because the entire trip is down the logging roads (Kapuskaing is home to a pulp and paper mill) -- it's a little dusty, but nice scenery.

We went fishing a lot (I have a fishing permit now! Who wants to go fish in the canal?)-- I caught quite a few too! Some were tough. We didn't keep any though.

I got quite the funny tan as well. I had a tan on my arms that stopped at the edge of my shoulders -- from all those evenings watching Theo's baseball in wide-shoulder tank tops. Now, however, I am going with the ever so stylish farmer's tan. I wore a t-shirt to go fishing and got a darker tan... so I have many shades now! I tried to take a picture to show it -- but it didn't turn out well.
We spent much time reading (I read all the issues of Woman's Weekly and Cottage Life that were at the cottage as well as some books for work: The Fall of Advertising and the Rise of PR, and Lapsing into a Comma.)

We went back to Kap on Thursday, went to the museum where Theo worked as a teenager -- it's pretty cool. Has the history of Kap -- and it's in an old steam train!

On Friday we went to the mill for a tour by his dad who works in the paper section -- freaky and cool! There's a lot of steam and big machines that could crush you and some areas are so hot you can hardly breathe -- but it's really amazing to see how complex the operation is. We didn't get to see it all -- it's quite large (sawmill, pulp, paper, recycling, etc...)

Friday we also went to his grandma's for dinner -- yum! There were a lot of people who aren't normally in Kap who were home too -- so it was a nice big gathering.

Saturday morning we got up bright and early again and packed up the car -- this time also with Mathieu, who will be staying with us for a couple of weeks -- and headed off back to Ottawa.

We stopped to take a picture in Moonbeam (just outside of Kap) because I love their Large Object By The Highway:That's all for now.

Oh: for grad pics check them out @ http://flickr.com/photos/laura311/sets/72157594226175887/

For all my pics (sorry -- there aren't a lot up yet) check the main page @
http://flickr.com/photos/laura311

No comments:

I Am Powerful

Iam powerful! Visit care.ca