1.21.2007

83

I've recently added three DVDs to our collection. First, I should say, I don't normally buy a DVD unless it's a movie I know I'll want to watch over and over. Hence why I've added RENT, Garden State and Love Actually.

This afternoon after being bummed out at my friend's news I decided to watch RENT and cook up a new recipe I saw in the Winter 2006 edition of Rodale's yogalife magazine.


Here's the first one:


Carrot Quinoa Soup


3/4 cup quinoa, rinsed well and drained

5 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
2 tbsp unsalted butter
1 cup chopped onion (about one small onion)
1 tsp whole cumin seeds (or 1/2 tsp ground)
1 tsp whole coriander seeds (or 1/2 tsp ground)
1 bag (1 lb) baby carrots
juice of one lime
salt and pepper

1. Combine quinoa and 1 1/2 cups broth in a small pot. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until quinoa is tender, about 12 to 15 minutes (it's fine if a little unabsorbed liquid remains in the pot).

2. Meanwhile, melt butter in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onions and saute for two minutes. Add the cumin and coriander seeds and cook, stirring, until seeds are toasty and fragrant, about one minute more (30 seconds if you're using ground spices).

3. Add the carrots and remaining 3 1/2 cups broth. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat,and simmer until carrots are soft, about 10 to 15 minutes.

4. Puree soup in the pot with an immersion blender (or transfer to a regular blender) and process until smooth.

5. Add quinoa and any remaining broth to the soup. Season to taste with lime juice, salt and pepper.

Per Serving: 270 calories, 11 g protein, 38 g carbohydrates, 10 g fat (4.5 g saturated), 4 g fiber, 190 mg sodium, 15 mg cholesterol

Prep Time: 25 minutes
Servings: 4 to 6


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heyy! They talked about ur site on Hot899 Today. Just came by to check it out, they said u had a good list on "you know you're from ottawa when..."

Laura said...

Hmm... I got that from a group on facebook - I'll have to see who the original writer was!

I Am Powerful

Iam powerful! Visit care.ca